Dhaka: Bangladesh may not participate in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 after the country’s government decided against sending the national team to India, citing security concerns, officials said on Friday.
The International Cricket Council (ICC) is expected to formally announce Scotland as Bangladesh’s replacement in the tournament through an official release.
The decision has triggered disappointment among Bangladesh’s cricketers, who have expressed unhappiness not just with the outcome but with the manner in which the call was taken. According to players, the government and the Bangladesh Cricket Board failed to consult them meaningfully before withdrawing from the global event.
A report quoting players said the dissatisfaction stemmed largely from the lack of dialogue. “It was not about disagreement alone, but about being excluded from the decision-making process,” the report said.
According to sources, the Bangladesh Cricket Board had convened a meeting with players ahead of the announcement, but one cricketer, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the meeting was merely informative. “We were not called to give our consent. We were only told what was going to happen. The decisions had already been made, and our views had no impact,” the player said.
The cricketer added that unlike earlier occasions, when players’ opinions were sought openly, this time it was made clear that playing the World Cup in India was not an option under any circumstances.
Sources further indicated that the decision involved direct intervention by the Bangladesh government, with players being told that the call had already been taken at the highest level. “It was a clear directive that the team would not travel. The matter moved beyond cricketing logic into the realm of security and state policy,” the player said.
The ICC has so far not issued an official statement confirming Bangladesh’s exit or Scotland’s inclusion, but an announcement is expected shortly.


















































