Home Latest Bomb threat to Mohali hospital where CM Bhagwant Mann admitted; security heightened

Bomb threat to Mohali hospital where CM Bhagwant Mann admitted; security heightened

Mohali: The Fortis Hospital in Mohali, where Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann is admitted, received a bomb threat via email at 1.11 pm on Tuesday, prompting a massive security response.

According to officials, the email claimed that the Chief Minister had been infected with polonium and also carried a threat to blow up the hospital. It further made references to former Punjab Chief Minister Beant Singh, who was assassinated in a bomb blast in 1995.

Following the threat, Punjab Police and intelligence agencies were put on high alert. The hospital premises were cordoned off, and at least five bomb disposal squads were deployed to conduct thorough checks.

Mohali SP Dilpreet Singh said there is no plan at present to shift the Chief Minister to another hospital. “Security teams are on alert and necessary checks are being carried out,” he said.

Police sources added that similar threat emails were also sent to 16 schools in Mohali. As a precautionary measure, the schools were evacuated and students sent home.

Mann had first been admitted to the hospital on Sunday after his blood pressure spiked. He was discharged on Monday morning and attended an anti-drug rally in Moga. However, he was re-admitted later in the evening after experiencing breathing difficulties.

Investigations are underway to trace the origin of the email and verify the authenticity of the threat.