Home International Trump raises proposed import tariffs to 15%, slams Supreme Court ruling

Trump raises proposed import tariffs to 15%, slams Supreme Court ruling

Washington: US President Donald Trump on Saturday said he would raise tariffs on foreign imports from 10% to 15%, revising his own announcement made a day earlier.

In a social media post, Trump criticised a recent ruling by the Supreme Court of the United States on tariffs, calling it “absurd” and “anti-American.” He said the decision had prompted him to further increase the proposed tax rate.

The court had earlier held that the President does not have the authority to impose sweeping taxes without approval from Congress. In response, Trump signed an executive order on Friday night seeking to bypass Congress and impose a 10% tariff on goods imported from around the world.

However, the order allows the tariffs to remain in effect for only 150 days unless extended through legislative approval.

Trump’s repeated revisions to tariff policy have sparked concerns in global markets and among US trading partners. The earlier 10% levy was set to take effect from February 24, but the White House has not yet clarified when the revised 15% order will be formally signed or implemented.

The President also indicated that his administration is exploring other provisions under federal law to impose tariffs, with the Commerce Department conducting related investigations.