Chandigarh: The Punjab State Ministerial Services Union has intensified its protest against the state government over its long-pending demands, announcing a two-day pen-down and computer shutdown strike across Punjab from Monday.
The strike, being observed on August 17 and 18, is expected to affect routine office work carried out by ministerial employees at district-level offices and sub-tehsils across the state.
Union says talks with government failed
According to the union’s state leadership, a meeting with the government on August 9 failed to produce any concrete outcome. The decision to intensify the agitation was taken following a state-level rally organised in Chandigarh over the demands of employees and pensioners.
The union had earlier announced another major protest for August 27, when employees across Punjab have been called upon to take mass leave as part of a proposed statewide shutdown.
Employees demand restoration of old pension scheme
Union district presidents Harjinder Singh Sidhu and Satnam Singh said their key demands include:
Release of pending instalments of Dearness Allowance (DA)
Restoration of the Old Pension Scheme
Implementation of a 2.59 multiplication factor for pensioners
Regularisation of contractual and outsourced employees
The union leaders said employees were forced to intensify the agitation because the government had failed to take concrete steps towards resolving their demands.
They warned that if the demands are not addressed, the union will further intensify its protest.



