Sunday, August 23, 2026
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Iran links Strait of Hormuz reopening to US commitments; rejects Trump’s territorial claim

Tehran: Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will be reopened only after the United States changes its approach and fulfils commitments it has made. Mohsen Rezaei, chief of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, accused Washington of deceiving Tehran during negotiations.

Rezaei said the US must first fulfil its responsibilities before Iran considers reopening the strategic waterway. He also said Iran would not bow to American economic pressure.

Iran rejects Trump’s ‘US territory’ claim

The statement came as US President Donald Trump shared another image describing the Strait of Hormuz as “New US Territory”. Trump had previously made a similar claim on August 18.

Iran rejected the assertion, with Rezaei warning against what he described as Washington’s approach towards the country.

Rezaei warns of nuclear proliferation

Rezaei also argued that US military action against Iran had increased concerns globally over nuclear weapons.

He said other countries could conclude that possessing nuclear weapons was necessary for their security. According to Rezaei, Iran is a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and has allowed international inspections of its nuclear programme.

He claimed that despite this, the US attacked Iran, arguing that such actions could encourage other countries to seek nuclear weapons rather than strengthening global nuclear security.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -
Google search engine

Punjab News