Home Latest Illegal coal mine blast in Meghalaya kills at least 16 workers, several...

Illegal coal mine blast in Meghalaya kills at least 16 workers, several feared trapped

New Delhi: At least 16 workers were killed in an explosion at an allegedly illegal coal mine in Meghalaya’s East Jaintia Hills district on Thursday, with several more feared trapped inside, police said.

Meghalaya Director General of Police I. Nongrang said rescue teams were carrying out search operations at the site in the Thangskai area, where the blast occurred in the morning. “So far, we have recovered 16 bodies. The exact number of workers inside the mine at the time of the explosion is yet to be ascertained, and there are fears that more people may be trapped,” Nongrang said.

East Jaintia Hills Superintendent of Police Vikas Kumar said one injured worker was initially taken to the Sutnga Primary Health Centre and later referred to a hospital in Shillong for advanced treatment.

Preliminary information suggests the explosion occurred during coal extraction activities. When asked whether the mine was operating illegally, Kumar said, “Yes, it appears so.” He added that the exact cause of the blast has not yet been determined and will be investigated.

Coal mining through so-called “rat-hole” and other unscientific methods has been banned in Meghalaya since 2014 by the National Green Tribunal, citing severe environmental damage and serious safety risks. Rat-hole mining involves digging narrow tunnels—often only three to four feet high—through which workers crawl to extract coal, making the practice extremely hazardous.

The ban was later upheld by the Supreme Court of India, which allowed mining only through regulated, scientific processes that comply with environmental safeguards.

Despite the prohibition, illegal coal mining continues in parts of the state, often putting the lives of workers at grave risk. Authorities said rescue operations were ongoing and further details would emerge after a full assessment of the site.