New Delhi: The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Thursday said that consular access has been provided to all 16 Indian sailors detained in Iran and that eight of them have been released.
Responding to media queries, MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said consular access was secured through the Indian Consulate in Bandar Abbas. “Out of the 16 crew members, eight individuals have been released, as informed by the Iranian authorities. After completion of necessary travel formalities, they will be returning home,” he said.
Jaiswal added that Indian authorities remain in continuous touch with Tehran regarding the remaining eight sailors, who continue to be in custody. The crew members were detained along with their vessel, MT Valiant Roar, in mid-December 2025.
According to the MEA, the Indian Consulate in Bandar Abbas sought immediate consular access on December 14, soon after the detention. Since then, the issue has been repeatedly taken up with Iranian authorities through diplomatic channels, including at the level of the Indian Ambassador.
The Indian mission has also been working closely with the Iranian navy to ensure regular supply of food, water and fuel to the crew. In addition, coordination is underway with the ship-owning company based in the United Arab Emirates to arrange legal representation and other essential supplies for the sailors.
Jaiswal said that in early January, when reports emerged that food and water stocks on board were running low, the Indian mission intervened to facilitate emergency supplies.
Following the release of eight crew members, Indian officials said diplomatic engagement with Iran is now focused on expediting a resolution of the case involving the remaining sailors at the earliest.



















































