Washington: Marco Rubio on Sunday indicated that ongoing talks between the United States and Iran aimed at ending the conflict in West Asia were moving in the “right direction”, including efforts to fully reopen the strategically crucial Strait of Hormuz for commercial shipping.
Speaking to reporters after detailed discussions with India’s External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar, Rubio said some “good news” could emerge within the next few hours and hinted that an official announcement may be made by US President Donald Trump himself.
Responding to a question on Iran, Rubio said, “I believe more information may emerge later today, and I will leave it to the President to share the next update.”
Without disclosing many details, the US Secretary of State said discussions held over the past 48 hours had received a “very positive response” regarding a possible framework to resolve the conflict.
The ongoing negotiations between Washington and Tehran are largely centred around Iran’s nuclear programme and control over the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most critical maritime trade routes through which nearly one-fifth of global oil and gas supplies pass every day.
Rubio said “significant progress” had been made in discussions with Iran, although no final agreement had yet been reached.
“I remind everyone that the ultimate objective remains that Iran can never possess a nuclear weapon,” Rubio said. “Iran can never have nuclear weapons.”
He added that discussions with Gulf allies over the past two days had generated strong momentum toward a possible agreement that could ensure the Strait of Hormuz remains fully open for global shipping without any tolls or restrictions.
Meanwhile, S. Jaishankar said both India and the United States have a strong interest in ensuring secure and uninterrupted maritime trade routes.
He added that both countries were equally focused on maintaining stability in global oil and gas prices and ensuring smoother access to energy supplies worldwide.
Rubio’s remarks came shortly after President Trump reportedly held phone conversations on Saturday with leaders of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkey, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Bahrain and Pakistan regarding regional developments and ongoing peace efforts.
Pakistan Army chief Asim Munir was also reported to be in Tehran for discussions with senior Iranian leadership aimed at accelerating efforts toward a “decisive agreement” between the US and Iran.




















































